So today when you’re not busy I suggest you play the game below and aim for a 'She Can Oscar' nomination.
Strike a confident pose right now
– Go on, pretend you’re Meryl in Devil Wears Prada or Julianna Margulies in the Good Wife.
- Shoulders back, chin slightly up, no slouching.
When you take your next steps walk with purpose
– Walk like Hilary Clinton or Condoleezza Rice (not Oscar winners, but you bet they think about their power posture), as you move from here to wherever you’re going next.
- Again no slouching, arms comfortable, good size strides, head up.
When you next sit down, own the space around you – Try Carly Fiorina or Christine Baranski (Diane Lockhart) from Good Wife.
- No bending over the table, sit back in seat, elbows on the arms of the chair.
If you’re ordering coffee or a drink
- Try Madonna or Sarah Jessica-Parker - deliberate and assertive.
- Order it in the style of your favorite power actress from telling them what you want, reaching in your purse, handing the money over, waiting for your coffee, through to walking away with coffee
Feel free to substitute in your own female (or male) power play heroes that inspire confidence. So what if you don’t have their clothes and their script you can still act the part. And remember; play the part for at least 2 minutes – will anyone notice? probably not but will they respond differently to you? Yes, they probably will.
Please let me know who your favorite go-to actress/leader role models are?
Want more on this topic then spend 21 minutes with Amy Cuddy, and her amazing Ted Talk.